We all know how nerve-racking it can be for your child to start school, especially for those joining year 7. September is an important milestone so continue reading for more tips on how to create a good fresh start!
There are a few essentials that are important for starting school.
- Leather shoes that are comfortable for school are ideal. If possible, use an alternative pair of shoes for PE.
- A rucksack that can fit all books is durable and suitable for school is important.
- Write out your number and attach it to a key ring or stick it to your child's wallet for extra precautions.
- Applying for an 11-15 oyster makes travel cheap.
- Use coloured folders to keep the work for each subject together.
Starting fresh and making new friends
- Not every child is the same: some may be shy and therefore find it more difficult to make friends. You could talk to them about ways to initiate conversation if they find this difficult. Remind your child that everyone is in the same boat when they start.
- Remind your child that you don't have to make a friend right off the bat. Friendships take time to develop: don’t panic if they haven’t made a friend immediately.
- Encourage them to join clubs and become involved in school life. This can be a good way to make friends with pupils in other forms and year groups.
A new fresh start means they can start all over again. Perhaps your child felt like they were part of many clubs and extra activities after school or that they were too shy to make friends. Encourage them to enjoy the new process and most importantly to have fun!